Menstrual cup 101

5:09 PM

Hey guys and dolls! So a few months ago, my husband got me a menstrual cup. Basically, menstrual cups are silicone cups that are inserted into the vagina and they collect menstrual fluid during menstruation. These cups are made out of medical grade silicone, so they don’t have any perfumes or chemicals that irritate the vagina. The reason why my husband gave this to me is because I had been struggling for a very long time to find menstrual pads, tampons or any other menstrual hygiene product for my period. This was something that frustrated me very much because unlike urinating, you can't hold in menstrual blood flow, so it's not like you can wait until you get to a restroom. In Venezuela, hygiene products are very expensive and hard to come by, so this is a really great alternative given that it lasts about 10 years and it is reusable.

I had been interested in menstrual cups before but I didn't really pay any attention to it because I just assumed I wouldn't find it here in Venezuela. However, a few months ago I found via an acquaintance that there’s a company that sells them here, so that’s when I decided to give it a shot. I told my husband about my interest, he gave it to me (Thank you honey!) and I decided to make it work.

This is how the menstrual cup looks:


As you can see, it has a little stick at the bottom that helps to take it out and it has little holes right under the brim to allow air to enter the cup and create a vacuum. Many people think that cups can get lost inside a woman, but it is impossible given that the cup is way too big to enter the cervix, consequently, it will always remain in the vaginal canal. To illustrate this, you can look at the following image:



So, there's nothing to be afraid about :) 

Some of the menstrual cup’s main advantages are:

·      It is reusable: After every use you take it out, empty its content in the toilet, wash it and insert it again.
·      It doesn’t need to be changed: 1 cup can last about 10 years. That’s equivalent to about 4500 pads and 3600 tampons!
·      You can use it to sleep: The cup needs to be changed every 12 hours, so you can change it right before going to sleep, it is completely safe.
·      It holds more than a tampon or pad: Most cups can collect up to one ounce of fluid, much more than a tampon or cup, so it is much more convenient.
·      There’s no odor: When blood comes in contact with air, it can have an unpleasant smell. This doesn’t happen with the menstrual cup because it forms an airtight seal.
·      It is safer: It doesn’t allow growth for bacteria and it isn’t associated to TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome).
·      No creepy chemicals: These cups don’t contain latex, BPA, dye, bleached rayon (a material that creates the possibly carcinogenic byproduct dioxin).

Also:

·      It is hypoallergenic
·      It doesn’t interfere with vaginal PH
·      It doesn’t release fibers in the vagina (These fibers can create small cuts that can aid infections)
·      Due to the material it is made out of, it can’t grow fungus or bacteria.

These are just a few of the benefits of menstrual cups. So it is great for the environment, it is awesome for your pocket and it is great for your vaginal health and comfort.

How to use it

This cool little tool is a silicone cup that is wide on top and narrow at the bottom. Most of them have a small stick, ball or ring at the bottom so it is easy to pull out. The insertion is pretty much the most nerve wrecking part of this experience for new users, but it doesn’t have to be. All you have to do is fold the cup, insert it in the vagina and adjust it. I usually run my index finger across the brim to make sure it is 100% open. If it doesn´t pop open right away you might have to pinch it at the bottom as move it slightly from side to side. If you use it right, you won’t even feel it throughout the day!

When you empty the cup, you just have to clean it with water and insert it again. Once your period is over, you can sterilize it by placing it about 5 minutes in boiling water and storing it. When you have your period again, you have to sterilize it once more and you're good to go!

My experience

So, I have always been very in touch with my body, but using a menstrual cup is another level. When I first heard about the menstrual cup I didn’t even allow myself a moment to hesitate. I told myself I just HAD to make it work. I watched a ton of videos, spoke to my gyno, and started my journey with this cute little cup.

It definitely takes some guts to insert something inside you, especially something that looks so big. However, once you get a hang of it it is extremely easy and practical. The first time I tried the menstrual cup I remember I was in French lessons, I would stand up every 5 minutes to go to the bathroom and see if I had a leak or something. Thank God, I never had a leak or anything. It was pretty amazing because it literally felt like I didn’t have my period at all.

Since then, I have used it as a regular method of menstrual hygiene and it is amazing!

Want more information?

If you want to learn more about menstrual cups, I suggest taking a look at these videos:




And if you're in Venezuela and want to invest in this amazing product, you can buy it here:




You Might Also Like

0 comments