2017 book list & reviews

8:00 PM

Hi guys! Long time no see! It's definitely been a while since I last posted. This year I read 8 amazing books. Even thought I usually don't find much time to read, I am happy about all of the books I got the chance to enjoy. This year I got the chance to read awesome classics like Frankenstein and The Metamorphosis, as well as more recent books like the first two installments of the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan. I also have to give my husband a shout out given that he gave me the last four books in my book list as presents, so, thanks babe!

I always like to keep my book lists mixed with classic novels and modern books, all with very different topics. So, without further ado, here's 2017's book list:

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard - The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan: Being a die-hard fan of Rick Riordan books, this year I had the joy of reading this one. It tells the story of a boy named Magnus whose journey starts with his death. It is an amazing adventure featuring heavy norse mythology. It absolutely delivers a great experience!


Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard -  The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan: This book is a continuation of the aforementioned, and it features a wild trip with new gods and mythological creatures. Also, it develops the characters much more and we can learn about what makes them tic. No doubt a 10/10.


Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie: This book is full of suspense, excitement, and mystery. It is an absolute thrill from beginning to end. Hercule Poirot is a detective mastermind that can basically defy the likes of Sherlock Holmes. I've read various Agatha Christie novels but this one is one of my favorites.



The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: This book is definitely a must read. It is the journey of a Spanish boy who continuously risks everything to find his purpose in life. He risks everything, even the love of his life, to fulfill his destiny. It is an inspiring and overwhelming tale. I recommend it for people who are a bit unmotivated and feel like they don't have a path. This book shows that we all have a path and a purpose, but we have to risk things to find it.



The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (fils): A love story for the ages. This book tells the story of Margerite, a courtesan, and Armand, a young man who can't afford a luxury like her. This love story is a criticism to a materialistic and cruel society that treats women like commodities and love like a nuisance. I must warn you, it is definitely bittersweet.



Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: I looooved this book! I think what I liked the most about it was how some of the narration was made with letters from some of the characters. One of the things that surprised me the most was the fact that the book is so much different than what we usually see in movies and other media. The classic pretty much focuses on Victor Frankenstein instead of his creation. The monster makes small yet very important appearances where he explains his evil motives. It is really a different take on the story than the one we all seem to know.



Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert L. Stevenson: The tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a story about how our darkest habits and desires can turn even the most respectable of us into hideous monsters. It is a book that makes us think about how fine the line between good and bad really is.



The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka: This is the only book in this list that literally made me feel chills up my spine. It is frightening in a very subtle way. I do think it is a good read but it really needs a bit of strength to get through. It is rough, especially when you stop and think about how the protagonist's family reacts to his transformation when in the beginning he was the one who helped them get through hard times.


Ongoing:

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien: I acquired this book in Caracas, in English for a very good price. I started reading it but my husband gave me a new book as a present and I moved on to another one. This one is probably gonna be on my 2018 book list.



Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë: This book was a gift by my husband on Christmas day. No one likes angsty romantic novels more than me, so I am very excited to read this book.

So this was my 2017 Book List. Did you guys like it? Have you read any of the books mentioned? If so, please leave a comment. Remember to check out my 2014, 2015 and 2016 Book Lists. Stay awesome!

You Might Also Like

0 comments